Monday, May 18, 2009

"That’s why we call it Blowdega Bay"


That is what the park ranger called Bodega Bay when I asked if the wind always blew so hard. Prior to arriving at Bodega I had visions of launching our sailing dingy and fishing up a storm while visiting this area. The first day that I mounted the mast on the boat, and pulled the halyards to raise the sails, the wind just kept gaining strength. Finally by the time I had the boat ready to launch the wind was blowing about 25 knots and gusting over 30. Ben was even more bummed out that me when I decided it wouldn’t be safe and we had to abandon our sailing trip. The next day we tried again. But still it was just too much to set off at the boat ramp. The wind wasn’t so bad across the sand spit at the beach so we wheeled the boat over to give a go at a beach launch. I had the mainsail reefed down hard and we did manage to get out on the water with our fishing poles and gear. Ben, Eva and I took off with a spurt as a gust grabed the sails just as I pushed away from the beach, it left me wondering if this was really a good idea. I told the kids to hold on tight as a gust healed us over. I eased the mainsail sheet and headed into the wind but my heart was thumping a bit. I came about and headed back to the beach where we launched from. A few more gusts, and lots of tracking down wind, and we finally got back to the beach but further down wind than where we began.

So I unloaded the kids and fishing gear and figured I should get out by myself just to learn how the boat handles in these conditions. I did ok and I was more at easy not having to worry about the kids but still it was just too gusty for this little 10' dingy. Most of my sailing experience was on our old yacht Thelma, she liked these types of conditions.

The cold wind never let up and we didn’t even try to sail after that. We did have a bunch of fun in Blowdga bay despite the cold bitter wind, especially at the very cool location on the bluff that had trees that made a natural fort of sorts. The trunks and branches were huge and grew along the ground making a great jungle jim and rising up to a canopy that resembled a roof. The kids each found there special spot to have their picnic. I brought my plant book to try to learn what local plants are edible. Eva fell off a branch and twisted her ankle, she ended up hopping on one foot for a few days but she is doing better now.

For a school trip we went to the marine lab ran by UC Davis. They gave us an educational tour and it was very cool. Ben was able to answer a few of the questions asked by our tour guide too, he already has learned quite a bit about sea creatures.

Oh yeah I collected up about ten small sea urchins when we went to the tide pools and ate some nice uni. Lots of work and much smaller egg sacks than the ones in San Diego but still they were tasty and fresh.
Hope to have more to say in the next few days. With luck I will get to do some spear fishing and we will be on an ab hunt...

Bill

1 comments:

Bluette May 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

Les explois ne se comptent plus,
autant sur terre que sur mer.Et
vive ThelmaII ,tout le bon fonctionnement vient du capitaine.
A bientôt les Aubonnois.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP