Thursday, January 29, 2009

It is official…

I am American and proud of it!

The Oath ceremony took place yesterday, in Chula Vista. Everything went very smoothly. We even managed to arrive 30 min. early, at 8am, which is a great accomplishment knowing that I’m usually barely up at that time. Darlene and Jerry, the kids grandparents, (I introduce them this way because I do not like the word “in-laws” and if I call them "my parents" you’d get confused and think that they came all the way here from Switzerland!*) were there too. They left at 4am to come share this special day with me. Thank you!
The ceremony was short, about 20 min. They normally show a recorded message from the president but president Obama hasn’t done one yet. What was the most disappointing to me was that we did not sing during the National Anthem. I was ready for it! They just played the music and everyone listened. Even though I was really looking forward to sing it I did not feel confident enough to sing alone among a hundred people! After that we took the Oath, repeated the Pledge of Allegiance and were dismissed. I received a certificate of naturalization that I will need to obtain my American passport.

I did not think that being American would be different except for the fact that I can leave the country now, for more than six months out of a year, but I do notice a difference. I have a deep feeling of belonging here… I am not just a long time visitor anymore.

Sylviane

* My parents have been very supportive of my naturalization and I know I was in their thoughts yesterday.

5 comments:

Shirley January 30, 2009 at 6:43 AM  

Sylviane.... and you were in our thoughts too. I thought of you many times and am so very proud of you and my best friend, Roberta, who became an American citizen a few years ago. We welcome you, on a full-time basis, to our country. Even though "our country" is having it's ups and downs, the freedom we experience cannot be rivaled. Welcome....

Love from your fellow American, Shirley

The Colliers January 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

Shirley,
Thank you for all your nice and welcoming words !
I'm going to apply for my passport this afternoon...Hope I get it before we leave for Switzerland!
Sylviane

:o) Rachel January 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Yay! Congratulations, Sylviane!! Thank you for sharing your day and feelings with us!!
:o) Rachel

Larry & Erica Evans January 31, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

yay! We are so excited for you!!!!! It would have been nice to sing the National Anthem. It's one of my FAVORTIE songs!!!! We hope you are still having a blast on your adventure!!! Tell the family hello from us!

Uncle Dan February 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

congradulations sylviane,
You con go to the post office to get passport and get expedited services ther is a charge but it only takes about 18 days if i remember right i cant wait untill Esther gets hers.
God bless
Love Dan & Esther
dcolli9@yahoo.com

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP