Sunday, December 7, 2008

"les merveilles"

I just had a WONDERFUL thought as I was cooking some semolina for my diner (it's like cream of wheat but better. When I was a kid my mom use to make it often for our diner! She cooked it with milk, sugar and raisins...so good!) which reminded me of something else very yummy from my childhood......les merveilles! Merveilles is a very thin, crispy cookie, as big as a plate, coverd with powdered sugar. It is deep fried and delicious. Anyway, I've been dreaming of eating "merveilles" for about ten years now, especially the ones that you buy at the "migros"(a chain of swiss grocery stores)...they have the best ones... and just haven't been able to have any, not even a crumb. It is a treat that you can find only around February-March, for "Mardi-gras", which makes it more difficult. I haven't been back to Switzerland at the right time of year or too fragile for my parents to bring when they come over or I've forgotten to ask my mom to save me some until I would get there (usually in April)....a tragedy! But, (here comes the wonderful thought) next year we are going to Switzerland in March!....YES, after ten years I will finally be able to eat some "merveilles"!

I just had to share this wonderful, exciting thought....thanks for reading

Sylviane

2 comments:

JacquelineB December 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM  

Mmmmm...merveillies! Now I want some.

siouse December 31, 2008 at 5:03 AM  

Mémé et Tante Lucie savaient très bien faire les merveilles. Pour qu'elles soient très fines, elles les étiraient sur leurs genoux. Elles en faisaient pour le Nouvel An avec les cuisses-dames et les boules de Berlin. On s'en régalait, de même que les jeunes qui tapaient du tambour pour le Nouvel-An et qui s'arrêtaient dans les familles pour une collation. Maintenant, on achète les merveilles à la Migros et dorénavant je penserai à toi chaque fois que j'en mange une. Mais, si cela t'intéresse, je peux de donner la recette des merveilles qui figure dans le livre de cuisine des écoles.
Bises. Francine

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP